Dluxe's World

Thursday, May 31

John and/or Jane Wesley?

As I've mentioned before, I was born and raised in the United Methodist Church. I started becoming more and more conservative while the denomination became less and less so. So I left a while ago. I still have a deep personal affections for my old church even though what they believe now is very different from then.

The last time I blogged about the UMC I was miffed at the idea of confirming membership of practicing homosexuals. A friend was nice enough to pop over from his blog and comment, giving us the UMC seminarian's perspective. If I am right, he's still at the Minnesota Annual Conference as this post goes up... Well, he's actually linked me in his sideblog now so we'll see if he reappears to comment on this doozy:
A year ago, the Rev. Ann Gordon received her routine reappointment as minister of a Charles Village Methodist congregation.

Yesterday - after undergoing a sex-change operation and taking on a new symbolic name - the Rev. Drew Phoenix received another one-year contract to head St. John's United Methodist Church.
...
"The gender I was assigned at birth has never matched my own true authentic God-given gender identity, how I know myself," Phoenix said. "Fortunately today God's gift of medical science is enabling me to bring my physical body in alignment with my true gender." (full article here)

Now... As is typical, Al Mohler has already said what I intended to say, only better. And he's said a lot more. So, read his thoughts here. And then offer your comments below.

What say ye?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Mr. Mohler seemed a bit insulting to and dismissive of people who are experiencing gender identity issues.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM, May 31, 2007  

  • Tom,

    I suppose it's in how you read it... When Mohler says, "There can be no question that some persons suffer excruciating gender confusions... This is an illusion of incredible tragedy," I read that as genuine hurt for people.

    I think Mohler's point, with which I would agree, is that such gender 'frustration' is ultimately rooted in sin. That's not to diminish the very real struggle and emotions, but it does mean that there's a moral limit to proper responses.

    In this case, the issue is more pressing because the person yielding to sin is a professing Christian pastor...

    In Christ, Dluxe

    By Blogger HeavyDluxe, at 9:00 AM, June 01, 2007  

  • Dluxe,
    Good response to Tom. This is really an amazing story, but I cannot say that it is surprising. I also blogged about this event and linked Mohler's article as well. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the comment thread of my post.

    -Travis

    By Blogger Travis, at 11:49 AM, June 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home