Dluxe's World

Thursday, February 28

"What the world calls accident"

Poor little boy! It is mercy indeed that he recovered from such a formidable hurt. The Lord wounded, and the Lord healed.

I ascribe, with you, what the world calls accident to him, and believe, that without [God's] permission, for wise and good ends, a child can no more pull a bowl of boiling water on itself than it could pull the moon out of its orbit.

And why does He permit such things?

It is to remind us of the uncertainty of life and all creature-comforts; to make us afraid of cleaving too close to pretty toys, which are so precarious, that often while we look at them they vanish, and to lead us to a more entire dependence upon himself; that we might never judge ourselves or our concerns safe from outward appearances only, but that the Lord is our keeper, and were not his eye upon us, a thousand dangers, and painful changes, which we can neither foresee nor prevent, are lurking about us every step, ready to break in upon us every hour.

How many are laboring and planning in the pursuit of things, the event of which, if they obtain them, will be but like pulling scalding water upon their own heads. They must have the bowl by all means, but they are not aware what is in it till they feel it.


John Newton, The Works of John Newton - Volume I

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • "to lead us to a more entire dependence upon himself"

    That's what it's all about. And yet why do I kick against this truth. I suppose my flesh is weaker than I could ever think. But, I thank God He gave me a spirit that is willing.

    Thanks for this post. Very good for my soul at this particular hour.

    " ever hour"

    I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
    Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

    I need Thee, O I need Thee;
    Every hour I need Thee;
    O bless me now, my Savior,
    I come to Thee.

    I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
    Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.

    By Blogger donsands, at 6:42 PM, February 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home