Dluxe's World

Wednesday, February 8

When the music fades...

I've been reading through the Psalms again as part of my recent, little songwriting 'exercise'. Today was Psalm 51.

I wonder how many of us know the words at the mention of that reference... Some, perhaps. But, if I were to sing "Create in me a clean heart, O God! And renew a right spirit within me"... Now, people would be able to recall a handful of verses.

This is the power of music - to press words into our consciousness - that we should be embracing. That said, what really intrigued me was to consider where to 'stop' quoting a passage when you're songwriting... For example, the plea for God to create a heart that is cleansed is a wonderful one. But, the verses that follow the ones we typically sing are awesome:
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
O God of my salvation,
and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
(vv.13-17, ESV)

I was particularly struck that the first statement David makes after his plea for restoration is evangelistically/missionally oriented. And the thought that follows reminds us that our salvation is turned, in all respects, towards the worship and glorification of our Rescuer... With all this talk about God-centered worship - here it is from David. "Restore me for the sake of Your testimony and glory, Lord!"

Makes me wish I was a better lyricist!! Oh, and melody writer. And player. I also wonder how many songwriters will have to hand David royalty checks when we all get to heaven...

1 Comments:

  • I replied to Mr. Cora M. Deo privately, but it's worth repeating here... I was being funny.

    I do think it's interesting when a CCM songwriter gets credit for innovative, expressive lyrics that are then demonstrated to be copped right outta the NIV Psalms with a little reseach. Shouldn't they pass along any songwriting royalties to some other ministry at that point?

    By Blogger HeavyDluxe, at 10:56 AM, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home