Dluxe's World

Friday, February 24

"Come here and let me tell you something..."

First, something inane and lighthearted: I work at a college where everyone and their cousin seems to have an iPod. When I walk to a meeting or to grab a bite to ear, easily 2 out of every 3 people have the tell-tale white headphone wires running up to their ear.

As an iPodder myself, I know how awesome it is to just lose myself in some tunes or something for a few minutes each day.

However, architecting a tie to hold an iPod Nano (discreetly, mind you) is a little much. Actually, I'm just jealous that I didn't think of it first.

On a more serious note, what is the name of that 'law' that says you'll notice cars just like the one you just bought? You buy a blue Dodge Caravan and suddenly the road seems filled with them. Anyway, whatever that law is seems to be in full effect right now for me. Sadly, not re: cars.

No less than 4 of the blogs I regularly read had vignettes re: abortion today. The most depressing was easily this one I found liked on Between Two Worlds. Quoting the BBC's article:
Stacy Dow, from Perth, was 16 when she found out she was pregnant with twins and decided to have an abortion. However, when she returned to her doctor after 33 weeks she was told one of the babies had survived.
...
In a landmark legal case, lawyers will argue that as a result of the failed termination, [the mother] suffered loss, injury and damage... and suffers "an impediment in her ability to obtain employment in consequence of her care for the child."

Wow... This is so wrong on - well - EVERY level! There's more...
Ms Dow's action states: "As a result of the failed termination the pursuer suffered loss, injury and damage. She suffered distress and anxiety upon the discovery of her continuing pregnancy."

I bet. Seeing a fully-formed infant in her stomach and coming face to face with the reality of her previous decision must've been a real kick in the teeth. I wonder if it was that kinda pang of conscience that prodded her to keep the baby? Unless I'm mistaken, and given the circumstances, she probably could've had another procedure...

But now, after 5 years, she decides to sue the hospital. Her court action states:
"She has the financial burden of care, upbringing and aliment of Jayde. She suffers an impediment in her ability to obtain employment in consequence of her care for the child."

But she chose to keep the baby... Twice! At the moment she found out she was (still) pregnant and again when she left the hospital with the little girl. I imagine adoption wouldn't have been a problem for a healthy, caucasian baby. And what set of parents, let alone single parent, doesn't share and manage similar 'burdens'?

Anyway, here's the bit that brought me to tears thinking about it:
"I have got a child now that I wasn't planning to have and I believe the hospital should take some responsibility for that," she said.
...
"I still don't know if, or what, I am going to tell Jayde when the time comes. Maybe when she is nine or 10 I will sit her down and explain it to her."

Just imagine that conversation for a moment... A 10 year-old's world is radically changed. Not exactly your typical mother/daughter tea stuff.

I've heard that Malcolm Muggeridge said something along the lines of, "The depravity of man is the most unpopular of all dogmas, and at once the most empirically verifiable." While this article presents an extreme, BTW's Justin correctly reminds us that the same depravity shown here was once alive in every believer's heart. What a frightening thought.

"Oh, to grace, how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home