Dluxe's World

Monday, April 24

Tolle! Lege! (My Reading List)

I love to read books. This is probably due to (or is the trigger of) my Learner impulse. As much as I love reading, the rest of 'life' tends to crowd out reading. So, I'm starting to hold myself to a rigorous plan above/beyond my daily Bible and blog reading... I thought I'd post it here so you might be exposed to some good titles and hopefully hold me accountable.

Currently Reading: James & 1 Kings, Christianity and Liberalism (Machen), The Supremecy of God in Preaching (Piper)

Future Reads ('**' indicates 'On Deck' ):
The Dominance of Evangelicalism... (Bebbington)
Light and Heat: Puritan Pulpits (Bickel)
The Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan)
The Cross and Christian Ministry (Carson)
Christ-Centered Preaching (Chapell)
Orthodoxy (Chesterton)
The Radical Reformission (Driscoll)
On the Bondage of the Will (Luther)
The Abolition of Man (Lewis)
The Cross Centered Life (Mahaney)
Humility (Mahaney)
Extreme Devotion (Voice of the Martyrs)
The Almost Christian Discovered (Mead/Macarthur)
The Forgotten Spurgeon (Murray)
Mortification of Sin (Owen)
Knowing God (Packer)**
A Quest for Godliness (Packer)
The Sovereignty of God (Pink)
A God-Entranced Vision... (Piper/Taylor)
Not the Way It's Supposed to Be (Plantinga)
Holiness (Ryle)
The Bruised Reed (Sibbes)
Lectures to My Students (Spurgeon)
Convergence: ... Charismatic Calvinist (Storms)
The Cross of Christ (Stott)
Instruments in the Hands of the Redeemer (Tripp)
Inspiration and Authority of The Bible (Warfield)**

Recently Finished (since 8/1/2005):
Doubting Thomas: Christology in Story Form... (Cobb) [review]
Confessions of a Reformission Rev (Driscoll) [review]
The Joshua Generation (Farris) [review]
A Generous Orthodoxy (McLaren - and you can skip this one)
Outgrowing the Ingrown Church (Miller) [review]
Growing in Christ (Packer)
Church History in Plain Language (Shelley)
The Holiness of God (Sproul)
Saved From What? (Sproul)
Improving Your Serve (Swindoll)
Desiring God (Piper)
Brothers, We Are Not Professionals! (Piper) [review]
Don't Waste Your Life (Piper)
The Religious Life of Theological Students (Warfield) [review]
Revolution in World Missions (Yohannan) [review]

Always accepting new titles or suggestions, as well!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Thanks for the list. Giving me some good ideas. ;-)

    A thought. Occasionally, if you have a thought or two about a book, put in here. It doesn't have to be a full-blown review and definitely doesn't have to be for everything you read (I probably read 5 times as many books as I review on my blog).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM, April 24, 2006  

  • I plan to, Brendt... I did chapter by chapter thoughts (rants?) on the last book I read. I don't think I'll repeat that formula, though.

    I should also note that these are only the serious things I'm reading... I'll have some fluff once in a while too!

    By Blogger HeavyDluxe, at 10:06 AM, April 25, 2006  

  • does anyone else hear crickets.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM, April 26, 2006  

  • does anyone else hear crickets.

    All the time, Anon... All the time.

    Or were you offering a title suggestion? If so, Amazon seems to have only a couple titles that fit "anyone else crickets". And neither tickles my fancy.

    By Blogger HeavyDluxe, at 2:15 PM, April 26, 2006  

  • Can I suggest "The Almost Christian Discovered" by Matthew Mead (with John MacArthur foreword)? Those looking for a light read or a warm fuzzy - stay clear.

    By Blogger AJN, at 10:38 AM, May 03, 2006  

  • AJN - Thanks for the tip... Consider it added!

    By Blogger HeavyDluxe, at 10:47 AM, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home