Dluxe's World

Wednesday, January 18

End of the Spear (?)

How come things are never easy?

A while ago, Eva had mentioned that she saw a preview for a movie retelling the story of the Saint family (click here, if'n you don't know). At first, I had more CloudTen images running through my head... But, I saw an ad for the new movie a couple nights later and it looked really good.

The film, called End of the Spear, is set to debut this coming weekend. Though I hadn't watched anything beside the trailer on TV I was excited. Now a controversy has erupted online surrounding the casting of Chad Allen in the role of both Nate and Steve Saint. It seems that Chad Allen is an 'openly gay' actor and some Christians are disappointed that he was chosen to play such a pivotal role.

The question is this: Do you go out and support the film? Obviously the film has a strong message... Others have noted, however, that the film's casting sends a mixed message and gives Chad Allen publicity to present his agenda.

Interestingly, Allen did something like that on Larry King last night. More interestingly, his comments moved into elements of faith, as much as anything:

"My parents, they had a hard time. We're friends again, we have a wonderful family relationship. But I have to say, if [your other guests] going to speak about absolute transcendent truth, I need to tell you, I know absolute transcendent truth...

I have a deep relationship with God and my understanding. It's very powerful, and it's taken its own shape and form. And I am very much at peace in the knowledge that in my heart God created this beautiful expression of my love...

These days I judge all of my actions by my relationship with God of my understanding. It is a deep-founded, faith-based belief in God based upon the work that I've done growing up as a Catholic boy and then reaching out to Buddhism philosophy, to Hindu philosophy, to Native American beliefs and finally as I got through my course with addiction and alcoholism and finding a higher power that worked for me." [emphasis mine, full transcript here]

So... What do people think? Do you go and see a movie that seems to support what you value, but gives tacet approval or provides a potential outlet for some views with which you strongly disagree?

My gut reaction is: It's a shame the casting decision was made. In fact, Allen alludes to this tension in his remarks on LKL... We can't turn our eyes to the fact that mass-media is propagandizing certain 'lifestyle choices' already (*cough* "Brokeback Mountain"). At least this film forces people to frame any conversation in the light of the Truth.

Similarly, the LKL discussion included Al Mohler who's a solid Reformed theology dude. He managed to politely present the Gospel and a just, Christian perspective on sin that at least tempered the discussion.

It's a personal choice (between you and the Lord) as to whether or not to see the movie. I think I definitely will. I will hold off buying tickets to see how 'rebuked' I am, though.

1 Comments:

  • Hey! You said "rebuked"! Did my Titus stuff put that word in your head?

    My Word Verification word is wafpo. This is a fun word. I want to define it.

    By Blogger Someone, at 6:04 PM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home